The Regional Welfare Office-National Capital Region (RWO-NCR) of the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) invites student-dependents of OFWs based in the region to apply for Education for Development Scholarship Program (EDSP) for school year 2012.
Eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Children of OWWA member or brother/sister of unmarried OWWA member
- Below 21 years old
- Filipino citizen
- In good health and of good moral character
- Belonging to the upper 20% of the high school graduating class
- Have not earned units in any post-secondary/undergraduate course
- Not a recipient of other scholarship awards
Interested applicants must bring the following documentary requirements to the Education and Training Unit of RWO-NCR at 2F, OWWA Center, F.B. Harrison, Pasay City for processing.
- Two (2) sets of accomplished Application Form (download from www.owwa.gov.ph)
- Two (2) copies of 2×2 ID pictures
- Proof of relationship to OWWA member (birth certificate of applicant or birth certificate of both the single OFW and the applicant-dependent duly certified by the Local Civil Registrar or NSO)
- Proof of OWWA Membership (Official Receipt of OWWA Contribution/Certification from OWWA Membership Registry Division)
- Form 137/High School Report Card
- Health Certificate attesting to physical fitness of applicant
- Certificate of Good Moral Character by the school principal or guidance counselor
- Certification that applicant belongs to the upper 20% of the total graduating students issued by the school principal
- Statement of applicant that he/she has not earned units in any post secondary/undergraduate course
- Sworn statement signed by parents or legal guardians attesting that he/she has no pending application for resident immigrant status from any country and does not have dual citizenship
- Certificate of No Marriage from NSO for unmarried OFW
Endorsed applicants will undertake the Merit Scholarship Examination, the qualifying exam conducted annually by the Department of Science and Technology-Science Education Institute of which OWWA-EDSP is a rider. It is slated on November 20, 2011. Testing centers will be announced later through www.owwa.gov.ph and this website.
The EDSP, an OWWA welfare program which started in 2004 through scholarship grants, entitles the qualified OFW dependents to take any four- or five-year baccalaureate course in any Metro Manila college or university at a maximum amount of P60,000 per school year.
Last year, more than 3,000 high school applicants who graduated from all the regions nationwide and in CHED-accredited schools in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia vied for the competitive scholarship program. Of the number, only the top 100 rankers were taken in the program, with 49 coming from the NCR.
Deadline for submission of applications is on September 15, 2011.
EDSP application forms can be downloaded from http://www.owwa.gov.ph.